Guidelines & How to Enter
- The deadline is midnight the evening of 30th December 2021
- We welcome submissions from young people (and groups/classes on behalf of) aged 14 to 30s, living, based or with a home (or term) address in Yorkshire and the nearby north. By this we mean: All of Yorkshire and Humber. Manchester & East Lancashire, and North – Derbyshire, Nottingham & Lincolnshire).
(and if you’re in North Derbyshire, Manchester and North West Lincolnshire (as far as Scunthorpe) we’re happy to hear from you too!) Students at universities outside of Yorkshire can still apply using their home address.
- Our age categories are: 14-16 | 17-19 | 20-30
- For group entries from teachers and others, please see guidelines on the group form here
- This is an online-only competition (we are not offering postal entries at this time). If you don’t have access to email to send your entry, you’re welcome to find someone else who can send on your behalf and put them as a contact email.
- There is no theme for this competition. You can send any work you wish, but we ask you to send your best work and stress the importance of taking the time to make it the best it can be. We recommend reading the Final edit checklist before sending your work.
- The photos, along with the related Get Writing Tips, are intended for those seeking inspiration rather than anything you must stick to.
- If you don’t have any ideas or ways into writing, we advise downloading the resources, prompts & tips sheet which has loads of great exercises and ways to get started writing.
- Submissions must be in English (but use of words from other languages are very welcome)
- You can submit up to 2 pieces of poetry, short story or flash fiction – in any combination, at any time – before 30th December 2021
- Poems can be up to 50 lines long / flash fiction and short stories from 200 to 2000 words
- Submissions must be the original work of the writer and not have won another competition or have been previously published beyond school or personal blogs.
- Winning writers who are published will receive a free copy of the anthology and all winners and commended writers will be invited to our anthology launch
- Highly commented/commended writers may be invited to submit work to the 2020 Hive anthology at a later time.
- The judges’ decisions are final. No correspondence will be entered into concerning decisions.
- Other than for winners, we are unable to give feedback on individual pieces, but we’re keen to welcome young people submitting into the Hive network (if you’re not already in it!) where we offer opportunities for 14 to 30s in South Yorkshire (and sometimes beyond) to develop their writing. In the meantime, drop us an email to say hi with your interests in case we can send info on an opportunity that would interest you in future. You can also follow us here on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or keep an eye on the Hive website for upcoming opportunities
- Expect to hear from us within 6 weeks of the deadline but likely before this
- Winning and commended Writers will be announced in spring
- Read the Guidelines (above) to check through eligibility and competition details. And, if you’re new to sending work out, do read the Final Edit Checklist in the Get Writing tab when doing final edits of your work before submitting – polishing your work can be the difference between something good becoming something great.
- You can submit up to 2 pieces of poetry, short story or flash fiction – in any combination, at any time – before the deadline
- For group entries, find details of submission in the group form
- Whether you are sending work together, or at different times, each submission must be pasted under the form you’ll find to download on the How to Enter page.
- Re-title the document with your name and age e.g John Smith 16. If it’s the second piece you’re sending add No2 at the end of your file name. Inside the document, do not put your name anywhere other than in the form info at the top (which will be separated from your work so it can be judged anonymously).
- In summary, if you’re sending all work at once, your document title will be your name and age. The document will start with the entry form and then have your entries pasted underneath clearly titled. If you are sending further entries – use the same format: form at the top, work pasted below, and the file titled with name, age – and this time, No2 at the end, e.g John Smith 16 No2
- Please use the following file types: .doc |.docx. | .pdf | .rtf (Times New Roman/Ariel, 11pt/12pt is fine) We cannot accept online links via file shared services such as Google docs so please do not send.
- Ensure before clicking send that you have attached your entry in line with the above
- Send to: email@example.com If you don’t receive an acknowledgment within a week of sending, get in touch.
First prizes: Kindle Fire HDs, professional feedback on work & print publication
All 2nd & 3rd place winners: writer goodies, professional feedback & print publication
All winners in each category will have their work published in Hive’s 2022 young writers’ anthology.
Highly commended: Book vouchers and invited to submit to the Hive 2022 anthology
Commended: Invited to submit to the Hive 2022 anthology
ENTRY FORMS DOWNLOAD:
For individuals entering, click here
For school/college and group entries, click here
1. Resources, prompts & inspiration
2. Final edit checklist
About the Competition
Get Writing Prompts & Tips – for fab writing exercises & tips