Further development opportunities
Further development, support & volunteering opportunities
for young writers in South Yorkshire
The Writing Squad
The Writing Squad is the North West’s development programme for emerging young writers. Meeting in Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield, they nurture young talent through workshops, mentoring and ongoing, creative projects. To be considered for the Squad you have to send in an application. The Writing Squad recruits for new members every 2 years. It’s a brilliant initiative to be part of for young writers serious about taking their writing to the next level. Once a member of the Squad, you’re in it for life, even as a Squad graduate there are opportunities to get involvedand ongoing support.
Next application date: April 2018
Website: Click here
Young Poets Network
Young Poets Network is The Poetry Society’s online platform for young poets up to the age of 25. Here you’ll find features about poets and poetry, challenges and competitions to inspire your own writing, new writing from young poets, and advice and guidance from the rising and established stars of the poetry scene. We also bring you the latest news and ideas from the writing world, and a list of competitions, magazines and writing groups which particularly welcome young writers.
Young Poets Network is for everyone interested in poets and poetry – whether you’ve just started out, or you’re a seasoned reader or writer. Teachers and parents might find it a useful resource, too. For daily updates about poets, poetry, competitions, events and more, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @youngpoetsnet, or sign up for fortnightly updates from Young Poets Network.
Website: Click here
If you enjoy being in creative environments or you are serious about an arts or writing related career, volunteering is a great way of gaining experience, new skills and insights into different areas, projects and organisations. You’ll likely need to be 16+ to volunteer, in some cases 18 &over. If you’re really interested in an area but you can’t find any volunteering, our advice is – ask! Let people know you’re keen, capable and available. Or, if there’s something you really wish there was, like a poetry night about Dead Female Poets (we know one such night!), think about making it happen yourself – again get skills from your own motivations!
Local creative places for volunteering:
- Hive South Yorkshire – Yes we do, here!
- Off the Shelf Festival of Words – Off the Shelf rely of volunteers and interns during their yearly festival to support and prepare for events
Click here to let them know you’re interested
- Grimm & Co. – is a literary charity based in the centre of Rotherham. Volunteers are very much part of the way they run and there’s a whole range of volunteering opportunities with great benefits!
More info: Grimm & Co is a fantastical story destination in the heart of Rotherham. We provide fun, free, innovative creative writing workshops to young people aged 7 – 18, both to school groups and to individuals through our out of school programmes. We aim to champion the writer in every child and in doing so improve confidence, raise aspirations and develop literacy skills. As a charity we rely on the support and generosity of others to continue our important work, and we are always looking for new volunteers to join our team in a variety of different roles. From writing mentors to work one-to-one with our kids, to shop elves to staff our magical apothecary, to fundraising, administration & finance assistants, we have lots of opportunities available. If you’d like to give your time to help young people in your community and gain valuable experience and skills at the same time, Grimm & Co could be just the place for you. For more information, please visit www.grimmandco.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Point Arts Centre – (home of Doncaster Arts). They do all kinds of creative events, workshops, projects and happening. There’s a gallery and exhibition space and the sometimes take on volunteers For more info: click here
- Ignite Imaginations – are a small arts charity based in Sheffield. They employ local arts and volunteers for a wide range of projects. For more info, click here.
- Sheffield Doc/Fest – is a film festival comprising; inspirational documentary films from across the globe. Doc Fest call for volunteers during their yearly festival to support and prepare for events. For more info, click here. Doc Fest Youth Jury – If you’re 18 to 22, you can also participate in the much-admired youth jury. Five young film enthusiasts will be offered the opportunity to meet key figures within the industry, curate a selection of films for the Festival, and select the winner of the Youth Jury Award announced at the Sheffield Doc/Fest Awards Ceremony.
- Sheffield Hallam University Volunteering – If you’re a Hallam student, take a look
Photo: David R. Pritchard